Thousands Sterilized, a State Weighs Restitution
By KIM SEVERSON
Published: December 9, 2011
LINWOOD, N.C. — Charles Holt, 62, spreads a cache of vintage government records across his trailer floor. They are the stark facts of his state-ordered sterilization.
The reports begin when he was barely a teenager, fighting at school and masturbating openly. A social worker wrote that he and his parents were of “rather low mentality.” Mr. Holt was sent to a state home for people with mental and emotional problems. In 1968, when he was ready to get out and start life as an adult, the Eugenics Board of North Carolina ruled that he should first have a vasectomy.
A social worker convinced his mother it was for the best.
Read the full story here: The New York Times
- North Carolina Paying Restitution For Involuntary Sterilizations (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Victims of North Carolina sterilizations speak out (examiner.com)
- News: Black Women Sterilized in North Carolina: MSNBC Reports (aboriginalpress.blogspot.com)
- NC Justice for Sterilization Victims (growfoodlocally.wordpress.com)
- Helping the Hurt (startstrongaustintx.wordpress.com)
- Restitution for the Victims of the North Carolina Eugenics Board – Open Letter to Elected Officials (curmilus.wordpress.com)