U.S. Finds Pervasive Bias Against Latinos by Arizona Sheriff
By MARC LACEY
Published: December 15, 2011
PHOENIX — In a strongly worded critique of the country’s best-known sheriff, the Justice Department on Thursday accused Sheriff Joe Arpaio of engaging in “unconstitutional policing” by unfairly targeting Latinos for detention and arrest and retaliating against those who complain.
After an investigation that lasted more than three years, the civil rights division of the Justice Department said in a 22-page report that the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, which Mr. Arpaio leads, had “a pervasive culture of discriminatory bias against Latinos” that “reaches the highest levels of the agency.” The department interfered with the inquiry, the government said, prompting a lawsuit that eventually led Sheriff Arpaio and his deputies to cooperate.
Read the full story here: The New York Times
- Joe Arpaio Unfairly Targeted Latinos, Justice Department Says (majfud.org)
- Sheriff Joe responds: I’m no ‘whipping boy’ for Justice Department – msnbc.com (usnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- DOJ Uncovers Rampant Lawbreaking By Sheriff Joe Arpaio Despite His Stonewalling (thinkprogress.org)
- DHS Severs Ties With Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Over Civil Rights (usnews.com)
- Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Accused Of Unfairly Targeting Hispanics (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Reichwing Sheriff Joe Arpaio charged with long list of civil rights violations by Justice Dept. (dangerousminds.net)
- Justice Department: Maricopa sheriff’s office discriminated against Latinos (cnn.com)
- Arpaio Cited By DoJ for Unconstitutional Policing (news.firedoglake.com)
- Joe Arpaio Loses Support From Homeland Security After Scathing Report (huffingtonpost.com)
- US accuses Arizona’s Joe Arpaio of misconduct against Latinos – Los Angeles Times (latimesblogs.latimes.com)