In Holland, Santa Doesn’t Have Elves. He Has Slaves.
The racist Christmastime tradition Dutch people have begun fighting about.
Here’s what concerns me: In Holland, Santa, or “Sinterklaas,” as he’s known to the Dutch, doesn’t have reindeer; he has a little helper named Zwarte Piet, literally Black Pete, who charms children with pepernoten cookies and a kooky demeanor while horrifying foreign visitors with his resemblance to Little Black Sambo. Each year, on Dec. 5, the morning before the feast of St. Nicholas, children all over the country wake up excited for gifts and candy while thousands of adults go to their mirrors to apply brown paint and red lips. In their Zwarte Piet costumes, they fill central Amsterdam and small village streets, ushering in the arrival of Sinterklaas who, in the Dutch tradition, rides a flying white horse.
Read the full story here: Slate Magazine
- Zwarte piet: the Dutch embarrassment (notliveatthescene.wordpress.com)
- Sinterklaas vs. Santa Claus (anamericaninamsterdam.com)
- Are Sinterklaas and Santa Claus the Same? (anamericaninamsterdam.com)
- Sinterklaas (norakearney.wordpress.com)
- Santa’s Many Faces: Shaman, Sailor, Saint (witchesofthecraft.com)
- A Very Racist Christmas? (theroot.com)
- Freedom of Speech – On how a Dutch cultural event became the catalyst of a discussion on the un-reimbursed slave crimes (blackrockstar.wordpress.com)
- Zwarte Piet: To be or not to be…black (blackgirlgone.com)