Updated December 22, 2011 4:52 PM
Is Americans’ Religious Freedom Under Threat?
Companies have pulled their ads from a TV show that portrays Muslims as benign. Religious groups may be required to offer insurance that covers drugs that can induce abortions. A federal judge rejected a ballot initiative on same-sex marriage partly because of its religious arguments. Are these just bubbles in the American melting pot, or signs that religious freedom is under threat?
Thomas Farr and Timothy Shah, of the Religious Freedom Project at Georgetown’s Berkley Center for Religion, Peace and World Affairs, organized this discussion.
Read the full debate here: The New York Times, Room for Debate
- Americans and God – NYTimes.com (wpvins.wordpress.com)
- Erosion of Religious Rights in America (lifeofafemalebiblewarrior.wordpress.com)
- In strongly worded remarks, Bishop Aquila of Fargo warns that attacks on religious freedom bear marks of Communism and Nazism… (kfgo.com)
- Americans and God – NYTimes.com (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- American Theocracy Revisited – NYTimes.com (wpvins.wordpress.com)
- Mixing church and state? New religious-freedoms office worries critics (canada.com)
- US religious freedom commission reauthorized at last minute (catholicnewsagency.com)